Calder Community Kindness
To help raise money for the work we do in the Calder Valley community, we opened the Calder Community Kindness (CCK) shop in July 2022. Located in the former Hebden Bridge Visitor Centre, its original aim was to support Ukrainian refugees and vulnerable individuals living in the Upper Calder Valley. However, due to the current cost of living crisis, CCK has expanded its ambitions and its next priority is to support families and individuals who are falling into food and fuel poverty.
CCK raises the money to fund these projects by selling new and preloved items that have been donated by the local community. This is Calder Community Cares’ only source of income besides direct donations, and any help you can provide is extremely welcome! If you’ve got old clothes, books or other items you’d like to donate – or you’d like to pick up something new – come over to CCK.
Donate clothes (and more)
Our shop, Calder Community Kindness, sells a range of pre-loved goods to raise money for the work we do. We’re always looking for donations, so if you have some items you are no longer using then you can bring them down to the shop. We are located at Hebden Bridge Marina, and are looking for donations of the following items:
- Adult and childrens clothing
- Vinyl records
What we’ve achieved
In its first 6 months CCK has:
- Given over £25,000 to charitable organisations in the Upper Calder Valley. Some funds are now being distributed by the Community Foundation for Calderdale through our Calder Community Kindness grant.
- Made a significant positive social and environmental impact, keeping over 1,800kg of clothing out of landfill and incinerators.
- Delivered support in the local community and collaborated with many other organisations including Focus 4 Hope, Mothershare, St Augustines and the Halifax Homeless and Community Kitchen.
- Provided free school uniforms to many families in our community.
- Acted as an effective signposting service to people who may be in crisis.
- Promoted the Upper Calder Valley and surrounding areas by providing informal tourist information.
- Contributed to a significant amount of medical and first aid equipment being transported directly to Ukraine.
- Funded free events to prevent social isolation and promote wellbeing.
- Funded the setting up of the Calder Cares 4 Ukraine website.
Our store at Hebden Bridge Marina is open 7 days a week, 10am – 4pm.